DIY Drain Cleaning
One side of the kitchen sink has been draining slowly, so I did a little chemistry and cleaned it DIY style. This procedure and recipe is everywhere online, so it is easy to find (e.g., here's one). There's a little variation in the recipe, so here is what I did.
- Pour tea kettle full of boiling water down the offending drain.
- Stuff 1/2 cup of baking soda down the offending drain.
- Pour 1 cup white vinegar down the offending drain (I actually ended up pouring more like 1.5 cups down).
- Enjoy watching the "volcano" (safety glasses/goggles might be a good idea).
- Let sit for 10 minutes (some people say to cover the drain at this point, but I did not).
- Pour another tea kettle full of boiling water down the drain.
Repeat process 2 or 3 times as needed.